Seasonal Events & Balcony Boutique
Join us for our upcoming events. Workshops and special events are priced separately from our regular classes.
Northern Life Yoga Balcony Boutique
Shop and save in our Balcony Boutique! Quality brand name active wear at reasonable prices (all items are priced from $25 - $65). Our seasonal balcony boutique features a selection of tanks tops, t-shirts, long sleeve layers, UPF (ultra-protective factor 50+) tops, wraps, and stylish sweatshirts.
EMpower Your Practice series with Anne Lowell
Knowledge is power...and gaining a better understanding of your practice is empowering. Learn what happens beneath the surface as you stretch and breathe. Enhance your knowledge of how to bring balance to your body and mind through your yoga practice. All levels welcome!
In this three-part workshop series, get to know your body from the inside out and rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul. Each workshop will include an all-levels asana practice that weaves in education on anatomical alignment and healthy movement. These workshops will renew your relationship with yoga while deepening your understanding of your unique tension patterns and what you can do both on and off the mat to enjoy a long, pain-free, and healthy yoga practice.
You will leave each session empowered with knowledge about 1) why we do certain yoga postures and how yoga can be used as a tool to correct muscular compensations 2) the science behind common alignment cues and whether or not they are beneficial for your unique body, 3) how to better support your anatomy in a yoga class through modifications, variations, and props.
Workshop #1: Healthy Neck and Shoulders
● Take the weight (literally) off of your shoulders as you meet the muscles, joints, and fascia that encompass your heart center and everything above, below, and beside it. This important region holds tension that comes from the stresses in our lives, the ways in which our environments and culture is structured, and even imbalances from elsewhere in the body. Our bodies often try to get us to attend to their needs through uncomfortable symptoms, and in this workshop, you will learn how yoga can help get to the “heart” of the issue and nurture this center of love, awareness, and personal transformation.
Thursday, June 7 - 5:30PM-7:00PM - Click to reserve your spot!
Workshop #2: Happy Back and Core
● Learn the yogic recipe for a vibrant and supple spine in this workshop focused on alleviating the factors that aggravate back pain and discomfort. Leave feeling strong, supported, and confident about deep core activation and how to safely move through any level of asana class with an enlightened perspective of how to best support the anatomical structures that work so hard to support you!
Tuesday, June 12 - 5:30-7:00PM - Click to reserve your spot!
Workshop #3: From Hips to Heels
● Experience a grounding and fluid asana practice that aims to acquaint you with your one and only foundation. Learn why your “root” (the feet, legs, and pelvis) are so intimately connected to freedom of the rest of your body, and uncover new elements to the intricacies of “hip opening” that will leave you feeling inspired, connected, and balanced from hips to heels! Modifications provided to suit all levels.
Thursday, June 14 - 5:30-7:00PM - Click to reserve your spot!
Anne Lowell will offer massage therapy in the healing arts room of Northern Life Yoga from June 7-16. Please book your appointment through Allie.
“Just like you can thirst for water, you can thirst for touch. It is a comfort to be met confidently, deeply, firmly, gently, responsively. Mindful touch and movement grounds people and allows them to discover tensions that they may have held for so long that they are no longer even aware of them” - Bessel Van Der Kolk
Meditative Massage: 60 minutes ($60)
Treat yourself to this highly relaxing, full body 60-minute massage that will leave you feeling blissed-out like none other. Anne draws from a variety of techniques including Swedish, craniosacral therapy, polarity therapy, and reflexology to create an experience which will allow your nervous system to reset and for unconscious & conscious muscle tension to dissolve. Side effects include increased sense of wellbeing, better quality sleep, and a balancing of emotional states :)
○ Guided relaxation: You may request for Anne to guide you into relaxation / meditation during your massage.
Therapeutic Massage: 90 minutes ($80), 120 minutes ($100)
Experience relief from chronic tension and/or pain with this 90 or 120-minute individualized massage option which will incorporate deep tissue, myofascial release, trigger point therapy, and sports massage techniques. This massage experience will facilitate release of adhesions and trigger points (“knots”), help to re-train overly tight and overactive muscle fibers, and improve muscle flexibility and joint range of motion. The 120-minute session includes the option for Anne to do a brief body reading prior to the start of the session.
○ Essential oil option (add $10) - Choose from a variety of oils to enhance your experience: lavender, peppermint, patchouli, sandalwood, cypress and lemon.
○ Kinesiology Consultation add-on ($20 for 20 minutes, $60 for 60 minutes):
■ One of the best things you can do for your body after receiving massage is to move and stretch! When you stretch after a therapeutic massage, you take advantage of increased blood flow and greater flexibility to train your nervous system to take on a “new normal”. With this add-on, Anne will spend one-on-one time talking with you, and walking you through a variety of stretches and strengthening exercises that will be helpful for you. Based on your individual needs, Anne will educate you how to reduce your muscular compensation patterns and ensure that the benefits of your massage session endure!
● Chakras Massage: 90 minutes ($80), 120 minutes ($100)
In this unique, full-body and spirit experience, the attention is placed on affecting energy by way of the 107 marma points in the body. Marma points are correlated with the chakras and are specific areas of the body where pain, weakness, and/or tension tend to show up (they are similar to acupressure points). Each chakra is associated with various organs, emotions, and behaviors, and thus, this massage experience will help to balance not only your physical body, but also allow energy to move more freely in your subtle anatomy. Come with a specific chakra in mind to focus on, or allow the session to unfold naturally as you and Anne explore areas of tightness and holding, as well as areas of openness and expansion. You will leave feeling cleansed, rejuvenated, and balanced.
About the Guest Instructor
Anne Lowell is a traveling yoga teacher & trainer, massage therapist, and exercise physiologist based out of Asheville, NC. A graduate of the University of Michigan, her studies in Kinesiology (human body and movement) blends well with her Kripalu yoga teacher training and experience running fitness programs to provide a uniquely balanced perspective.
Anne finds true joy in helping others feel good, whether through movement, one-on-one coaching, or educating students on self-care practices. Her favorite part about her work (besides getting to wear yoga pants to work and nerd-out about anatomy) is connecting with her students and planning thoughtful programs that inspire physical, emotional, and spiritual growth.
Anne’s classes, workshops, and trainings are informed by her background in kinesiology and massage therapy, and her own yoga & meditation practice. By focusing on aligning the body in a way that supports its structures, Anne believes one can find alignment in other areas of life. Her philosophy of yoga and physical exercise is that it is incredibly rewarding and life-enhancing when approached in a balanced way. Thus, in a session with Anne, you can expect to experience both challenge AND ease, strength AND relaxation, in the hopes that you can find this balance in life off of the mat as well.